One of the sweet ladies has been extending an invitation for over a year and finally I was ready to join. The journey of acceptance with a child with ASD is long and complicated.
One of the families hosted a swim party last weekend and we all had a great time. The boys played in the water, the swing set and had Popsicles. I had multiple conversations that had me thinking I should have done this a long time ago.
Talking with other parents who are navigating this particular parenting experience was supportive, encouraging and validating. It's hard and rewarding . We are our kid's advocates and warriors. They require that from us.
Their challenges are overwhelming at times and yet the areas they shine are so very bright . Everyone has their strengths and challenges but with certain kids both catagories are extreme.
My child struggles to get dressed and potty train at five but sails through academica and picks up songs on the piano astonishing fast with out sheet music . He feels everything so strongly and words are hard. He's also funny, silly and cute as all get out.




No comments:
Post a Comment